I Have Endometriosis, Can I Still Get Pregnant?

I Have Endometriosis, Can I Still Get Pregnant?

Let’s start with some good news about pregnancy and endometriosis: 70% of women with mild-to-moderate endometriosis get pregnant without treatment. We want to point out the words “without treatment,” which means that the remaining 30% still have a chance to get pregnant with the right treatment.

At Advanced Endometriosis Center, we specialize in helping women overcome the many unwelcome side effects that come with endometriosis. From ongoing pain to fertility issuesDr. Ulas Bozdogan and our team have dedicated our practice to helping women surmount these challenges using the most innovative treatments available.

When it comes to building the family of your dreams when you have endometriosis, you do have options, and we take a look at these here.

Gauging the degree of endometriosis

Endometriosis is a condition in which tissue that normally lines the uterus grows outside of the uterus, such as on the ovaries and fallopian tubes. Unfortunately, this misplaced endometrial tissue can interfere with pregnancy, among other complications.

We have a system for “grading” endometriosis, and we use four categories depending on the severity. The categories are as follows:

While the degree to which your endometriosis is affecting and interfering with the function of your pelvic organs can differ greatly depending on the stage of the condition, we can provide treatments at every stage to optimize your fertility.

Ways to encourage pregnancy

There are several ways in which we can increase your chances of getting pregnant when you have endometriosis. To start, we first assess your endometriosis to figure out whether endometrial implants are interfering with your ability to release eggs or for eggs (and sperm) to travel through your fallopian tubes and implant in your uterus as an embryo.

Laparoscopic surgery

If we find possible endometrial “hurdles,” we can turn to laparoscopic surgery to remove the cysts, implants, and scar tissue that are potentially causing problems.

To perform this surgery, Dr. Bozdogan uses advanced robotic technology to accurately remove problematic tissue without resorting to open surgery.

This type of surgery can be effective in increasing your ability to get pregnant, and it can also relieve your other symptoms of endometriosis at the same time.

We do want to point out that endometriosis is chronic and typically lasts until you transition through menopause. If we remove implants and scar tissue, there’s a chance that these problematic tissues can redevelop down the road. That said, the removal gives you a window during which you can try to get pregnant.

Intrauterine insemination

If your eggs and the sperm are having trouble connecting in your reproductive organs, we can turn to intrauterine insemination, a procedure in which sperm is introduced directly into your uterus to facilitate insemination. This procedure assumes that your eggs are able to access your uterus.

In vitro fertilization

If your eggs are having trouble releasing and/or reaching your uterus, we may recommend in vitro fertilization. With this technique, your eggs are collected directly from your ovaries, fertilized in a laboratory, and then embryos are implanted into your uterus.

The bottom line is that your chances are very good for getting pregnant, despite your endometriosis, and we can help you find the best treatment option for your goals.

To learn more about pregnancy and endometriosis, book an appointment online or over the phone with Advanced Endometriosis Center today. We have offices in New York City and Hackensack, New Jersey.

You Might Also Enjoy...

7 Reasons a Hysterectomy Might Make Sense

7 Reasons a Hysterectomy Might Make Sense

From pain relief to eradicating cancer, there are many reasons 600,000 women in the United States opt for a hysterectomy each year. Here, we review some of the more common.
Can Endometriosis Be Prevented?

Can Endometriosis Be Prevented?

Preventive health care is something worth exploring wherever possible, but it’s not available with endometriosis. Here’s a look at this common condition and why management, not prevention, is the order of the day.
When Are Ovarian Cysts a Problem?

When Are Ovarian Cysts a Problem?

During your reproductive years, the odds are good that you routinely develop ovarian cysts as part of ovulation, and you’ve been none the wiser. But there are times when these cysts can pose problems.
Is there a Genetic Link to Uterine Fibroids?

Is there a Genetic Link to Uterine Fibroids?

If a family member has uterine fibroids, you might wonder about your risk. Understand the connection between genetics and fibroids, and learn about other factors that may influence your chances.